Monday, April 26, 2010

Ignorance abounds

As I approached a red light today, as I always do, I lined up in the middle lane, as my intent was to continue straight through the intersection. This intersection has a left-turn lane, a thru-traffic lane, and a right-turn lane. The light turns green and 2 things happen:

1. Some really smart guy yells out of his Corolla, "You're not a car!" He was in the left-turn lane as I passed him.

2. Some other really smart guy (riding a bicycle) rode the line in between the thru-traffic lane and the right-turn-only lane. There were only 4 cars in line in the thru-traffic lane.

My responses:

1. Quoted from Utah Code Title 41 Chapter 6a Section 1105 1(c):

A person operating a bicycle or a moped on a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as near as practicable to the right-hand edge of the roadway except when:

(c) traveling straight through an intersection that has a right-turn only lane that is in conflict with the straight through movement

That was easy. Dummy.

2. Similarly:

A person operating a bicycle or a moped on a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as near as practicable to the right-hand edge of the roadway except when:

(vii) a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

If you're riding in between two lanes of moving traffic, you're unsafely close to vehicles on both sides. Within three feet, now that I think of it. I feel better that I caught this guy within a block of the intersection while I was riding with this (he was on a road bike, riding in the drops):

No comments:

Post a Comment