Sunday, November 7, 2010

I'm Committing To Livestrong!

I regularly think about those affected by cancer, both directly and indirectly. Last year, I found out that a friend of mine in Chalma, Veracruz, Mexico had abruptly died of cancer. She was younger than me by a few years, yet the cancer was so advanced once detected that it was not treatable.

Blanca

My heart was saddened for her and her family. How is it that I, surrounded by top-notch health care, live cancer free, while she, alienated from adequate care, is quickly brought to death's doorstep by the disease. Unfortunately, her story is not unique. I want it to be.

The Livestrong Foundation fights to improve the lives of those affected by cancer. I have decided to play a small part in the fundraising efforts to fight this terrible and widespread disease.

My Commitment:
I commit to commute by bike every day through the upcoming Wisconsin winter. From what I'm told, Wisconsin winters prove to be colder than the Utah winters that I have experience riding in. If you think my cause is worthy, demonstrate your support by donating to this foundation, thereby further motivating me in my goal. I will ride regardless of your donation, but let's see if we can make a difference.

Here is the link to my Livestrong Fundrasing page.

My goal is to raise $2,500 this winter. Will you help me make a difference?

I will keep you updated on my progress and will be posting stories as I so enjoy doing.

1 comment:

  1. Spence, I love your blog. I wish I could ride my bike year round but during the summer months, I just dont think Id be brave enough here in Az. Do you have any other suggestions of bikes that hold kids really well? Maybe someday when I have money Id have to look into it.
    My husband determined that the bike we have does not hook to the bike trailer (I thought all bikes could connect to it). I usually go riding every morning before the kids and hub are up so that I can still get out there without having to take my kids. I wish I could go during the day, though. Itd be so fun to ride around to the park or the store and right now is the PERFECT weather for it.
    Thanks for your comment on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete