Thursday, July 7, 2011

Panaracer Pasela Replacement

Since the Casseroll's birth (the day I opened the womb . . . box), I have been riding on Panaracer Pasela 700x28c llantas. The bike originally came with Continental something-or-others (Contact? ~600g/ea), but they were too much wire-beaded, black-sidewalled tire for my taste. The Paselas are much lighter (280g), and have turned out to be quite durable. This is the same weight as a Bontrager RXL All Weather Hardcase 23c tire. My front tire is still pretty solid, but the rear has developed a flat tread cross-section, as well as some fissures. Strangely enough, the only flats I've had in the past couple years have been the result of razor sharp salt deposits in Madison. Both the Casseroll and the Brompton have fallen victim.

Photos:

The salt-induced tread mishap. 

The remainder of my emergency tire boot.
Ye olde tread wear.

Sidewall breach.

Ahhhh, new tread. 



As far as usage, I have ridden these tires for nearly two years, with roughly 4-5000 miles? I have taken to dirt paths lately, and they have performed quite favorably. The extra volume of the 28c tire affords a comfortable tire for commuting, and longer-distance riding on various terrain. I'm not afraid to take the bike on a dirt road, if that's where my adventure happens to take me. Option value. Bam.

Today's reason for Why I Ride a bike: I can inexpensively transport myself about, and perform needed repairs on demand by myself. I can't easily do this with a car...

No comments:

Post a Comment