Sunday, September 18, 2011

Something is Missing: Merino Portfolio Management

I sweat. Lots. That, and I ride some sort of distance daily. Some rides are transportational in nature, others recreational. In either case, I use some form or another of cycling specific clothing and/or accessories. Fact: synthetics smell terrible when mixed with human sweat (I haven't tried lycra on any animals, yet). Therefore, synthetic articles of clothing require frequent washings, if one is to ride frequently. Words such as annoying, inconvenient, putrid, among others, come to mind when I think of stinky synthetics.

I was first introduced to moisture/odor/temperature management via fabric with Smartwool socks. The results were fantastic. Quite possibly, my marriage was saved, as were several pairs of shoes. Before long, as my addiction to Keen footwear grew, I added more and more of their Merino wool socks to the wardrobe. Before long, I saw the merits of Merino for an increasing breadth of activities, including the act of staying alive.

To begin, here's a snapshot of my current portfolio of Merino wool goodness:

From skullcap to socks, but something's missing . . . 

Obviously (hopefully it's obvious), something is missing from the portfolio. That's right, shorts (bibs for me, please). 

Here's the rundown of what I use:

Skullcap and neck gaiter

Salsa jersey, by Earth Wind & Rider (thicker weave)

Bontrager (Trek) long sleeve sweater. Another EWNR product.


Ibex gloves. 

Ibex arm warmers.

Ibex leg warmers.

Most of my socks. From Chrome, Keen, Smartwool, & Wigwam
I missed a closeup picture of the casual sweater that is to the left of the Salsa jersey in the first picture. Looks like once I add a set of bibs, I have a good start. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment