Sunday, October 9, 2011

Velo Orange Wheel Build Project - VO Raid Rim

I have a new wheelbuilding project in the works. Since my Salsa Delgado Cross rim had serious spoke pull-through, I started looking around for a worthy replacement. A few rando-style rims are out there (here, here,  here, & here), but I eventually went with Velo Orange's RAID rim (700c, 32h, of course). Pros and cons exist with this rim, as with any other rim, but here is my short list:


Pro: It's high-polish finish fits the aesthetic of the Casseroll.

Pro: Simple styling, just one VO sticker. 

BIG Pro: Double eyelets. 

Pro/con? Zero offset spoke holes.

Clean joint

Con: High-polish brake surface. It's nice and tall, but a machined brake track would really set this rim apart.
Now, if only I had spokes . . .

3 comments:

  1. I my experience, machined sidewall rims wear faster. It's become my theory that the only reason they machine rims is to cover up sloppy rim extrusions. You can make a cheap wiggly rim and then cheaply shave off the wiggles (leaving some very thin spots in parts of the sidewall). When you put that shaved wiggly wheel in the bike, it looks razor straight, but you pay a price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. I suppose my perspective is the improved brake pad / rim surface contact. Perhaps I'm assuming that this surface is won't be awesome. It just may be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a pair of the high polish Velo Orange Diagonale rims on my touring bike. It has no lack of braking power/satisfaction. You'll enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete