Saturday, February 18, 2012

2012 Polar Plunge

Ice formation on the lakes around Madison has been quite subpar due to warmer-than-usual temperatures. Nevertheless, the water underneath any amount of ice is, well, COLD! Here is some proof, courtesy of ContourHD (not really courtesy of, since I paid for the camera & case...):


The preparation...


The Launch...

The Hover...


The Approach...

The Panic...


The air temperature at jump time was about 35ºF (1.5ºC) and sunny; reasonable, I thought. I remember feeling quite pleasant after last year's jump under similar conditions. That was not the case this time around. I'm short, and couldn't reach the lake bed while attempting to exit the water. Not awesome. I did try to belly flop and stay under the water for what felt like a decent amount of time. Murky, gross water met my face and shut down many of my body's functions...no need to elaborate. Even the "STD soup" hot tubs looked appealing this year and actually helped.

I enjoyed the jump, and our UW MBA team raised over $20k for the Special Olympics!

No comments:

Post a Comment