Friday, May 21, 2010

It's only a demo, it's only a demo . . . . .


I've been anxiously awaiting my Brompton since early March, so on occasion I have borrowed the shop's demo model, which is similarly spec'd to mine. This is a M6L-X in British Racing Green with the Shimano generator hub and Brooks B-17 saddle. Mine will come in black with the Schmidt Son generator hub. Every time I take it out, I have to tell myself: "It's only a demo, it's only a demo."

Seen here with the IT Chair installed. I have since installed a Bontrager Eco saddle in brown. I rigged a 6mm seatpost QR lever on standard straight post saddle hardware so I can flip the IT Chair saddle out of the way, so as to keep my Carradice City Folder installed on the carrier block. Did I mention I have a Carradice City Folder? Mine was made by a certain Priscilla. Thanks, Priscilla.

Here's the Brompton folded with the IT Chair and Carradice.

Top view of the fold including the IT Chair.

Front view of the fold with the IT Chair.

So far, I've taken this setup on a handful of commutes and family rides with my almost-five-year-old daughter. She's quite tall for her age, and still fits comfortably. I've wheeled it right in to the grocery store and used it as my shopping cart. I absolutely love it. Can't wait for mine to arrive! (Although I'll have to).

2 comments:

  1. I would love to touch base with you. I would like to know how it is going with your bike and the IT Chair. I am still looking for it, and hope that someone emails me back so that I can get one soon.

    I have a Brompton bike, and I was actually considering getting a FR8 bike, but honestly... I can't afford another expensive bike. I really want to know where to get one, and hopefully it isn't that much expensive.

    I look forward to your response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My contact for the IT Chair was Koos, email: info@bike-tech.net. Really easy to work with. I have loved the Brompton and the IT Chair. My kids love it, and call it the "silly" bike. The setup is simple, it folds nicely, and it's super sturdy when riding. I did have to slide my saddle back as far as it can go in order to have some sort of realistic knee clearance when I'm pedaling. This isn't a big deal, but makes the folded package a bit bigger than it could be. It's well made, and is pretty light. I just used a standard, old-school seatpost clamp for the saddle, and away we went. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

    ReplyDelete