Tuesday, June 22, 2010

New "Projet"

My wife's creativity is quite influential, and her multiple projects have inspired higher thought concerning her bicycle and its current "un" creativeness. I began thinking of ways to set up a comfortable bike for her uses that would be worthy of her creativity. After much introspection, I decided to search for and build up a bike using a Mixte frameset.

Should I buy new? I considered offerings from Soma and Velo-Orange, but methinks that some newly manufactured frame would be in diametric opposition to my objective--to be creative. Anyone could click a mouse and lazily await a delivery truck. Boring. So, I then turned to the local classifieds--LOADED with all types of bikes, from the lame to the not-so-lame.

Unfortunately, most folks in the area are unfamiliar with the Mixte nomenclature, so an exact search term match only yielded one bike, which I had seen in the shop just a few days earlier as the owner of this bicycle was attempting to assess its value. I didn't like it in person, so I definitely didn't like it via the interweb.

Luckily, I have like-minded friends who are absorbing things of a classic nature, specifically Brad. He directed me to an ad for a '70's Peugeot with, you guessed it, a Mixte frame.

Here are some pics in its almost original 1976 spec:


Squeaky and violatingly uncomfortable mattress seat (no box spring included). You can see part of the original rat-trap rear rack.


The back of the stem has a mini Peugeot badge. Nice touch.


Mafac "Racer" brakes. Functionally sound, at least by 1976 standards. Imagine spreading lard on your current braking surface--that's about how this works.


Presumably metal-cored plastic brake levers, again with the Mafac make stamped into the component.


Tyre dynamo complete with rubber shavings guard. The stainless fenders were in surprisingly good shape, and have a lip that runs along the edge for housing the generator light wiring.


Sadly, the girl whom I bought the bike from was misled in her current tire purchase, being duped into 27 x 1" tires on 27 x 1-1/4" rims. Totally not a good idea. This mistake led to some pretty significant dings and general out-of-roundness of the rear wheel.

Build plan:
  1. Replace brakes with Tektro Long-Reach sidepull calipers. Matching Tektro flat bar levers.
  2. Replace pedophile style grips with some cork grips with a layer or two of shellac.
  3. Replace Craftmatic saddle with a Brooks B-67.
  4. Build new wheels:
  5. Install Lumotec IQ CYO R Senso Plus Chrome-finished LED headlight.
  6. Install Busch & Muller 4DLitePlus taillight.
  7. Pletscher centerstand kickstand.
Pics to follow as the "projet" moves along. Au revoir!

2 comments:

  1. It is coming along so sweetly! I love watching the daily transformations and gettin texts, emails and phone calls from you updating me on what came in for the bike. I am loving it and it's creativity. You are the BEST!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete