Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What Does This Symbolize to You?

So, I ride past a particular crosswalk every day, twice per day in fact. After some time, I noticed something rather peculiar. At first, it looked like a rather normal-looking lawn chair. Upon repeated inspection, these chairs are apparently in high demand, or are a frequent target for criminal mischief, so obviously one would avoid leaving said chair unattended. The picture below violates several basic principles, some related to cycling:

Rule # 1 when locking up an item of potential value: Lock the item to something >= the strength of the lock itself. My guess is that someone could look really angrily at the chain link fence and the chain would work itself free. I don't think the chair is much stronger than the chain, either.

Rule # 2: Ensure that monies spent on locking mechanism <= item being locked up. I'm pretty sure the chair is less expensive than the lock and chain.

Now for the fun part, SYMBOLISM, a la Robert Langdon. I'll leave my thoughts on what this symbolizes in the comments, I'm interested in your thoughts . . . .

3 comments:

  1. My first thought was TARP funds in general, but specifically those directed to CitiBank. Also, even thinking about offering public assistance to Chrysler. Uck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's not protecting it from getting stolen, but protecting the chair from running away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't even think about taking my spot for the Riverton Parade.

    ReplyDelete