Friday, December 10, 2010

Brompton and Snow - Madison, WI Commuting Updates

Yesterday it snowed in Madison from about 1:30 through the evening. The streets were a slushy, awful mess, so I knew I'd have to be at the top of my game to stay upright on the Brompton. Although difficult, I was riding faster than most of the automobile traffic. I say most because of an incident with a certain taxi company. Madison Taxi (silver cabs) minivan #114 violated at least three traffic regulations: 1) passing a cyclist too close (closer than the 3 feet minimum), 2) driving too fast for conditions, and 3) illegal lane change (from my right to my left in front of me when the lanes had separated). Appropriate reports are filed. It's not a simple fender bender that I'm worried about with this, it's my life; at the very least a limb. All in all, quite the experience, with some photos and video to share:


Bob's Woods


A bit of snow buildup


P.S.-I installed the studded tires on the Casseroll, and should have my bike locker shortly for a bit safer commute.
P.P.S.-There is quite a difference between the road grime/slush/junk on the streets from automobiles and the peaceful white on the bike paths. Just an observation.

3 comments:

  1. very cool! Do you have the drivers manual memorized???ha! Love You! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! I've been riding a Brompton in the slush too. I wish I could outfit it with studded tires for days like today, when the icy ride to the subway stop was just a bit more harrowing than I'd hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed. If we could somehow collectively convince Schwalbe that it's worth it . . . I absolutely love my Marathon Winter Plus treads on my Casseroll (my winter commuting steed). The back wheel on the Brommie just wants to slip out a little too easily for my liking.

    ReplyDelete