Saturday, December 18, 2010

Winter Commuting at -25F

So a while ago, I dedicated my winter commuting to raising awareness and donations for Livestrong. Now that winter has officially hit Madison, I write to update you on my experiences so far. Most mornings so far in December have been at or below zero, often with significantly negative wind chills. The pictures below are from a -25°F (-32°C) morning.

Frozen air looming over Lake Mendota. 

This part of the lake is walkably frozen now. 
The Salsa rides notably better than the Brompton in the snow, due to the larger-diameter wheels and Schwalbe Marathon Winters (carbide-tipped studded tires). Nevertheless, I attempted a snow ride in the Brompton:


Valiant effort. 
I will continue riding through my winter break, and look forward to making a small contribution to Livestrong fundraising. Any contribution that you're able to make is impactful and meaningful, and I thank you.



1 comment:

  1. -25 that is cold what are you wearing to protect all you parts that are not metal? Also I have been all over this site and have yet to see a picture of the mixte xtra I think it does not exist.

    ReplyDelete