Monday, May 16, 2011

MKS GR-9 pedals replacing MKS Sylvan Lite

I changed my pedals today. My original plan with the MKS Sylvan Lite pedals was to use the Dromarti Race with the toe clip cleats. Since I went with the Dromarti Storica, the profile of the Sylvan Lite was suboptimal for the sole of this shoe.

Here's a shot of the Sylvan Lite with toe cage still installed:


Heres the pedal sans toe cage:



This gives you an idea of the profile of the pedal against the shoe. The pedal is designed with the aforementioned cleat in mind, to nestle on the rear lip of the pedal. With a flat-soled shoe, I wanted a more platform-style pedal that is also toe cage friendly.



Introducing, the MKS GR-9. I picked up a pair from Universal Cycles. They have a good inventory, they ship from multiple warehouses (MN and UT, for example), and have an instant "price-match" (or close thereto) feature. 

The GR-9 pedal has a similar shape, with a flat sole friendly design. 





Here's the pedal in complete contact with the sole of the shoe. That's what I was looking for.


I also spent the day replacing my brakes (the actual brakes, not the pads), building a new rear wheel (new hub, spokes, nips), installing a new front rack, and replacing the middle chainring, chain, and cassette. Posts on these projects to come.

Today's reason for Why I Ride a bike: I enjoy making changes as my tastes and needs evolve.

3 comments:

  1. When did we start calling toe clips "cages"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny. You missed a couple:
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/cycling-footwear-guide/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/331033-how-to-install-toe-clips-on-a-bike/
    Hurry before they utterly confuse people with wildly erroneous terminology.
    After spending years in cycling retail, I have grown accustomed to talking about toe clips (as I do mention at some point in the post, btw) as toe cages. Many average customers don't get the concept of toe clips vs clipless pedals. You would clearly be appalled to hear someone call clipless pedals "clip" pedals or "clip-in" pedals. Mind blowing stuff.

    ReplyDelete