Saturday, June 25, 2011

Amber Reflectors -- International Search

One of my favorite old-school features of the Casseroll is the amber wheel reflector set. Unfortunately, one of them broke the other day. As it snapped and rested lifeless in the palm of my hand, I was carried away in a vision of a booth I recall at Interbike several years prior. In the Asian section of the floor, a gentleman displayed his wide array of reflectors, and uttered the prophetic statement, "In the U.S., these are very hard to find," as he waved his hand over the amber reflectors. At the time, his brochure and/or business card seemed unnecessary to pick up, so I moved on. What a fateful decision.

My search ensued. I had a hunch that J&B would have something similar, but distasteful. I was right (here, here).  Bleh. I pressed on, with droplets of sweat forming on my brow as I diligently searched the corners of the interweb. Deflect-o has the reflector, but I'm not necessarily interested in a carton of several hundred. Finally, after several minutes of searching the first page of Google results, I found, deep in the depths of an eBay search, the reflectors. Buy-it-now. Ordered. Paid. Shipped.

Over a week had passed, so I logged in to check on the status of the order. Oops. Paypal had my wrong address. Would I ever see the reflectors? Would they make the arduous journey from Madison to Minneapolis? Life was tense for a few days. Then, a package arrived:


The package was properly forwarded from my Madison address! Victory! Notice the stamp with detail of the shipment's origin. I really wanted these reflectors. Life rocks again.

Today's reason for Why I Ride a bike: I enjoy doing my part to be visible and to be a part of traffic, along with the personal vehicle. 


No comments:

Post a Comment