Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Arkel Cam-Lock Kit for the Black Rose Panniers

So, I'm riding through a large, busy intersection, and maneuver over (bunny hop) a rather large crevice in the concrete road surface. This type of road hazard is fairly typical, I'm finding, in the upper Midwest. Shortly after landing, one of my panniers jostled its way off the rack and jammed into the rear wheel, sending me into a sideways skid (I was still in the process of making the turn).


Alas, the basic clip attachment of my Black Rose panniers will not suffice. For quite some time, I have been a fan of Arkel's Cam-Lock attachment system. It's quite genius. I'll let you read Arkel's description for details. Regrettably, I would have to remove some of the beautiful copper rivets securing the original retention system on the pannier, but it's a sacrifice I had to make. 

First, I searched Arkel's dealer list here in Minnesota, and I realized that one of my favorite transportation-oriented bike shops is directly across Lake Calhoun from me: Calhoun Cycle. Of course, they had a pair of the 8" cam-locks in stock. I almost cruised right past the shop, for its subtle appearance. Inside, it's a Brooks, Carradice, Arkel, Brompton, Larry vs. Harry, etc. etc. etc. wonderland. So RAD. I wiped the drool off my chin and got to work. 


This is the 8" Arkel kit. Should line up nicely.

This is to test how it mounts, and to tighten up the bungee. I had to slide one of the main hooks inboard  to not contact the rack unduly. 

With the bungee properly tensioned. 

Unfortunately, these will have to go. 

Gone. =(...

Replaced. =)

Large washer on the inside. 

I was able to use existing holes left from the rivets. Now to secure the hook.

My method of removing the rivets. Tedious and time consuming, but it worked. 

I busted out the sewing machine (it was already out with a quilting wife) and attached the webbing so there was just  a little tension on the hook.

I love how secure this system is. Now I can bunny hop cavernous road hazards as needed. I have several other projects I've been working on.....posts to come. 

Today's reason Why I Ride a bike: A bicycle provides me with a transportation option, capable of carrying what I need safely and efficiently.

What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. Here's what I think, since you asked. I know Nada about bikes and bikes stuffs but I do really like the feminine bedding you took your picts on. Shows your comfort factor with things mechanical next to pink. Good Husbanding. Oh and that you can sew too. I'm totally serious. 10+ on the points from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merrill points!! I've basically become numb to the lack of testosterone in my daily life. I didn't even notice the feminine bedding . . . oh well!

    ReplyDelete