Monday, December 24, 2012

Rapha Festive 500 Ride 1 - 50km


Last year's Festive 500 by Rapha was indeed a challenge. I was living in Madison, WI, and the highest temperature was at freezing (quite warm, in hindsight). This year, I live in Minneapolis, and the temps are quite colder. I am still making an effort to pedal through the challenge this year, so we'll see how it goes!

Today's departure was greeted with +16F (-9C) temperatures and a light dusting of snow, with a wind chill of +2F (-17C). By the end of the 50k ride, temps were +15F (-9.5C), with less of a wind chill. Eek. My layering worked just right, but my feet were still really cold. I doubled up on merino wool socks with a new pair of Teva Chair 5 boots (rated at -25F), but even still...

Here are some pictures:

Around 7AM with 1/2" of fresh-fallen snow
Riding the Casseroll with Schwalbe Marathon Winter tires, Supernova/Schmidt light system, etc.




I'll be shooting for some Mukluk miles this evening if I can sneak away...



No comments:

Post a Comment