Saturday, December 22, 2012

Brompton Toolkit - Pure Genius

My sweet wife hooked me up with an incredible birthday present from Calhoun Cycle. Any bike-related gift is more than welcome, but the Brompton Toolkit is just plain awesome. Although I have been fortunate in the past 2+ years of riding my Brompton, on-the-road repairs could be quite the undertaking without a proper toolkit. Alas, here it is:


Here is the beautiful toolkit, ready to insert into the Brompton frame. 

The toolkit is made of an outer sleeve and the tool carriage.

15mm box end wrench/ratchet, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6 hex wrench (for ratchet),  philips & slotted screwdrivers (for ratchet), nesting pair of tire levers, 8/10mm box wrenches, sandpaper square, & glueless patch. Sheesh.

With the bike folded, the tool goes inside the front section of the main tube, between the front joint and the head tube.

The tool fits right in.

The toolkit fully inserted. The 15mm box wrench serves as the handle to insert/remove the toolkit. 

Mostly unfolded. 

Fully unfolded.

When fully inserted, the toolkit stays in place by virtue of a rubber endpiece, and feels secure. I am curious to see how well the tool stays inserted as I walk around with the bike folded. I may be tempted to remove the tool if I am worried about the tool dropping out of the frame. Time will tell. Until then, happy folding!

No comments:

Post a Comment