Monday, September 20, 2010

Community Car, Brompton, and a Couch

About a month ago, we ordered a couch. We got a call that the couch came in, and was ready to pick up. The couch delivery oligopolists charge $50+ to deliver said piece of furniture, so my instinct shouted "DON'T BUY!" (the delivery charge, that is).

I don't own, or know anyone who does own, a pickup truck. The couch won't fit on my bike, and I don't yet have one of these, so I thought of a plan. This plan would be a bicycle/car partnership, consisting of a bike ride on my Brompton folding bike to the location of a Community Car minivan, capable of transporting my new secondary sleeping location back to my house. Community Car is Madison's car sharing program, not an altogether unique program, but nonetheless creative and potentially effective.



Time came to reserve the minivan. I logged on and found that the one en route to the furniture store is already booked by other users, so I opt for the other minivan in the Madison area, which is 10 miles away. 10 miles on the Brompton is no small feat, but I managed. Once I found the van, I folded down all the seats, let the Brompton ride shotgun, and we were off to the furniture store.


Excellent benefit of the chain being inside the fold: No chain on upholstery!
I arrived at the furniture store, slid the couch in (it fit), closed the hatch, and brought it home. Mission complete.

Total cost:               $7/hr for Community Car use (includes everything) x 2 hrs
                             =$14

Delivery folks:       $50+

Savings of :             $36+ for 2 hours.

Don't forget that I also got in some bicycling miles that I would have pedaled elsewhile. Simply a transfer.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment