Friday, September 10, 2010

Conversations as a Bike Shop Customer

I finally broke down and had to purchase a couple items at a bike shop, this time as a retail customer. As I've spent the past couple years of my life dedicated to improving the customer experience, I was quite interested to see how others do it. Here is my initial finding:

Me: Walk into shop. Navigate through the disorganization to find their chain lube, which is under glass behind the service counter. Really? After waiting for my "turn" to be acknowledged, this is the extent of the conversation that followed:
Me: "Can I get a 4oz bottle of your DuMonde Tech Lite?
Bike Shop Employee: "The what?"
Me: "The yellow bottle. The bigger of the two."
Bike Shop Employee: "Oh . . . "
Me: "Do you have any Bromptons yet? I saw you're a new dealer on the website."
Bike Shop Employee: "What?"
Me: "This:" I held up my Brompton.
Bike Shop Employee: "I dunno . . . "
Me: "Nevermind. Where can I check ou...."

He walked away. I stood at what looked like a check-out counter for 10 minutes while the ONE specially equipped employee came over to check out not only my transaction, but those of 4 other people who had been waiting just as long.

Needless to say . . . LAME! Next time I need something, I'll go out of my way to experiment with a Trek Dealer.


Step it up, Budget!

1 comment: