Sunday, October 24, 2010

Grocery shopping w/ the Peugeot

Have I mentioned that I love Trader Joe's? With some route creativity, our local store is only about 2.5 miles away--a perfect candidate for grocery shopping by bike. I saddled up with my three-year-old in the iBert (a product of Utah), two Basil panniers (I'm secure in my manhood), and a grocery list. Trader Joe's has a nice selection of bike parking as well, thanks, guys.

As always, I had to repack everything in the panniers, as the typical grocery bagger is unfamiliar with the dynamics of hauling groceries by bike. I ended up filling up the two panniers and another "green" reusable Trader Joe's grocery bag. Here are the results:




  • 5 lb bag of red potatoes
  • Container of cherry tomatoes
  • Container of strawberries
  • 1lb whole mushrooms
  • Trader Joe's pork dinner
  • 5 lb chicken thighs
  • 1lb sliced ham
  • Frozen vegetables
  • 1 pint half & half
  • 1lb butter
  • 1qt chicken broth
  • Lemon
  • Pizza dough x 2
  • Pepperoni
  • Shredded cheese
  • 2 boxes of cereal
  • 1 gallon milk
  • 1 head of lettuce
  • 4 cans of corn
  • 4-pack of Virgil's root beer
  • Fruit leather ends & pieces
  • 1/2 gallon apple juice
  • 1/2 gallon grape juice
  • Salad dressing
  • Pizza sauce
  • Box of cheese sticks
  • 3 boxes mac 'n cheese
  • Potato chips
  • Flour tortillas
  • 1 loaf of bread
Not too bad, eh? Needless to say, I have a project underway that will increase cargo capacity of the Peugeot. Looking forward to it. 

3 comments:

  1. Spencer you are amazing. First of all that you went grocery shopping for me and Second because you just really are. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have MAD bike packing skills! I think you should be in the Guinness World Records book! I will personally write them on your behalf if needs be. :)

    ReplyDelete