Friday, February 18, 2011

SKS Chromoplastic Fender mishaps

A few days ago, the portion of my front fender that protrudes from the fork crown snapped off. Lovely. I figured I'd deal with it and forgo replacement. This morning, I was riding along through semi-frozen puddles, with a layer of ice across the top. Apparently, a chunk of ice wedged itself on my rear tire and followed the rotation up into my fender. The rear wheel went into a skid, and I found this:

Oh Snap
Here's the front fender:

Double snap.
Looks like I'm in the market for some replacements. I may consider some Honjo's or Velo Orange fenders.

3 comments:

  1. How big are those tires? Not enough clearance between the tire and the fender maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed it's a tight fit. Mostly at the front brake. I've gone with the Tektro 556's to add fender clearance, and am going with the VO hammered 45's. The rear fender issue was just a huge chunk of ice. Bum luck, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many people who buy plastic fenders consider the breakability a safety feature. I'm not a fender guru but if safety is more of a concern than style, maybe stick with the SKS, as they bought blumels and are considered THE plastic fender maker on the planet, I believe.

    ReplyDelete