Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ran out of gas today . . . in a blizzard . . . . with kids in the car

After picking up our niece today at the airport, we . . . I ran out of gas right by the Capitol building. With my wife, kids, and niece in the car, I felt even more stupid than with a typical Morse gas outage. To make matters worse, a ridiculous blizzard was hitting the city (UW canceled school), and the nearest gas station was 1 mile away. The good news was I had my Casseroll with me on the roof rack (I met up with my wife). So, I bundled back up, and pedaled my way to the one-mile-away gas station. At least I was going faster than the cars.

Gas can purchased and filled, winter gear back on, and no real awesome way to carry the gas can. If my Morse instincts got me into this mess, they could get me back out. I took off my belt, worked it through my Tubus rack, and had a quite secure gas can transport system. I only wish my belt wasn't post buckle style, but prong style, but gravity kept the post in place. I did almost go down while waiting at a red light, just from the wind. Crazy.

Enjoy these:

Ortlieb should look into this. 

Pistols baby.
Bike 1 - Car 0

2 comments:

  1. One Knight in shining armor saved a young damsel in distress (or 4)so she could get to her Knight in shining armor! Go You! and thanx

    ReplyDelete