Thursday, February 17, 2011

Supernova E3 Rear fix

Recently, I noticed that my Supernova E3 Rear light had stopped working. The juice that comes off the hub is AC, and the headlight converts the current to DC, powers the front light, and sends power back to the rear light. I was nervous that something in this technical electronic system had malfunctioned, necessitating service from Supernova in Germany. I did not want to do that. I did, however, email them for help (more on that later).

I started diagnosing the lighting system, starting at the hub. Voltage was good at the hub (AC). Of course it was, since the front light is functional. From the front light, the wiring is sealed all the way back to the rear light, so I was skeptical of a problem along the way. I opened up the back of the E3 Triple, put a meter on the wires (DC current this time). Voltage good. I then took apart the rear light only to find no voltage at the miniature circuit board beneath the three LEDs.

So, power out of the front light, but nothing at the rear light. I started investigating at the splice about 8" off the back of the front light. Power on both sides of the splice. Still no power back to the rear light. I cut the wire strategically (at about the chainstay) and I found no current at the supposed supply. I connected the now cut off rear light directly to the exposed splice at the front light, and voila, it works. The wire had actually gone bad in line. Lame. I replaced the bad section of wire and soldered the system back together.

Standlicht



Finally
I still haven't heard back from Supernova.

2 comments:

  1. How old were you Supernova lamp when this happened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was only a couple months old at the time. The circuitry ended up going bad, where the center light burned out, which caused the standlight feature to not function. In other words, for the rear light to have standlight functionality, the center lamp has to be functioning. Supernova did respond to my inquiry and replaced the light.

    ReplyDelete