Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Bern Brentwood w/ Winter Knit Insert

Over the past year or so, my cranium has been adorned by the Bern Brentwood for commuting purposes. This particular model is manufactured under Bern's "ZipMold" process, where the PVC shell is molded with liquid-injected foam. The result? The helmet is very light, very strong, and is less susceptible to becoming extremely brittle as typical helmet foam does. 

The trouble is that I ride in the winters here in Wisonsin, and extra layers on my head dramatically change the fit, i.e., the helmet doesn't fit. Thankfully, Bern thought of this and developed the Winter Knit (Hunter). Here's a shot of the helmet as-is (with a ContourHD mount on the side). 

It was Movember. What can I say?


The Mrs. said, "Stick your chin out." So I did. The winter kit snaps into place where the visor kit once resided. 

Close-up of the kit and 'stache.
I rode all last winter with this kit, along with some other goodies that will show up here once the snow and sub-zero temps arrive. I usually ride with an Ibex skull cap and neck gaiter down into the single digits. Much colder than that requires goggles and a breathing mask (foreshadowing).

Happy riding. 




4 comments:

  1. Hi there

    Almost one year after your informative post, I'd like to get a Bern helmet and especially that Hunter Winter Knit.

    Coming from Germany, it seems to be impossible to get hold of these. By now I even consider getting them from the US.

    I'd appreciate if you could help me finding these for men and women, since I would like to buy the helmets soon (these I found in the UK).

    Thanks

    André

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend contacting Bern directly! Bernunlimited.com

      Delete
  2. Hey Spencer, thanks a lot for this post - you helped me decide on the Brentwood!

    I'm having trouble finding the same winter kit. Bern's website has changed, and all my searches give kits that look like they barely cover the ears - I'm looking for one that goes down far like yours. Any leads? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is terrible news!! I can't find anything other than the new knit liner. I would call them direct. They're a small company and will listen to what you want. Feel free to reference the blog as well! I used to work for a dealer of theirs in Utah, where I got my helmet and 3 others for the family. Love what they do. Keep me posted.

      Delete