Saturday, December 24, 2011

Rapha Festive 500 - Day 2 #Rapha500 81km

Day 2 - 50mi (81km)


Today's ride was a much more positive than yesterday. I know this loop by heart, meaning no surprises. With service stations opposite the lake of my starting point, and riding through the isthmus, if something were to go wrong, I wouldn't be out of luck for long.

I started around 6:30AM today, when the temperature was around 20F (-7C). I added an upper-body layer, so I was wearing a short-sleeved Bontrager base layer, Salsa wool short-sleeved jersey, Ibex wool arm warmers, Ibex wool full zip Shak long-sleeved sweater, and a Bontrager rain/wind jacket. The wind jacket caused sweat troubles. I shed the jacket halfway through my first lap and wore a vest for the 2nd lap. Much better setup.

For the lower body, I have Ibex Arrivee wool bib shorts, Ibex wool leg warmers, Ibex Breakaway overpants, and a pair of Rainmates for windstoppage. For the head I use the Ibex Zepher beanie and neck gaiter. For the hands, Ibex Tuck gloves.

Turns out I'm quite the Ibex and Merino wool advocate. Love the stuff.


Sunrise over Lake Mendota




From a potty break on lap 2. 


I want this house. In the summer. 


The sun just creeping up on lap 1. Trek Bicycle president John Burke lives not far from here. 


A view from the Bikestache







Here's the map of today's riding:



See you Monday. Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment