Saturday, December 24, 2011

Rapha Festive 500 - Day 1 #Rapha500 53km


Day 1 - 33 mi (53km):

Change of plan. The temperature this morning when I left at 5AM was 12 degrees. A full 10 degrees colder than expected. I embarked nonetheless. Things felt manageable for the first 30 minutes or so, until my toes were extremely numb. I use 3mm neoprene booties over full leather shoes, but even with thick merino wool socks underneath I was numb. Ice block numb.

I pulled off at a McDonald's at about mile 20 in an attempt to warm up. I was thirsty, but all 5 water bottles were ice blocks. Even the bottles in my handlebar bag were solid. Lovely. I was sorta hungry, but the food was frozen, too. Hmm. I grabbed an Autotrader magazine and lined my shoe covers with several layers of its pages, vintage Tour de France style. No go.

I did get to watch the sun rise, however:















The camera was frozen, and would struggle to function. Can't blame it. My neck gaiter was frozen solid.





My feet got worse, and my arches and heels started to go numb. At about mile 33 (53km), I called in the SAG wagon (the Mrs.). I nursed my ice block feet to a service station, which was not easy to find along the farmroad-laden countryside. I'll be recalculating the remainder of my 500k attempt.

**UPDATE**
Attempt recalculated. I'll be riding smaller 22 mile (35km) loops around Lake Mendota. That and I'll spread the riding out in a realistic manner. Plan B on the 24hour ride is to ride during spring break.

The new route. 


The new itinerary:

12/23 - 33 (Complete)
12/24 - 44
12/26 - 66
12/27 - 44
12/28 - 44
12/29 - 44
12/30 - 35

No comments:

Post a Comment